If ELO records your face-to-face class for the online (distance) section:
1. Mic positioning
- On blouse/dress, pinch the fabric together if needed
- Don’t block or bump the mic
- Turn the microphone pack on by pressing and holding the power button so that the green indicator light appears; alert the student producer if the light is red OR if the light is off at any time during the recording
- Check the battery life at the start of the lecture – it should have a minimum of 3 bars
2. During the class
- The instructor should stay within the video capture zone
- Try to repeat or rephrase the question prior to responding to ensure that all students have heard the question clearly
- Seek the participation of the distance education students
- Students will not be able to see what you are pointing to on a projector screen or writing on a whiteboard, please use available technology (Wacom, ELMO)
- Only capture group work on video if students are speaking one at a time. Speak to ELO for assistance with specific activities.
3. For class notes
- Work with the producer to ensure any annotations are posted via Cybox to your Canvas page.
- If connecting a personal laptop, please be aware that WebEx and annotations will not be captured.
- Review best practices for Preparing and Sharing Lecture Video Content
4. Ongoing Communication
- Post a course schedule to your Canvas page before classes begin
- Be accessible and respond to student inquiries in a timely manner via email, phone or other well-established communication tools
- Post a brief announcement regularly to keep distance students informed of all important deadlines
- Use additional tools such as announcements, discussion boards, online office hours, virtual help sessions, targeted video sessions, etc.
5. For live distance presentations
- Have students/guest presenters contact email@example.com for a test run at least 2 days prior to presentation
- Share specific dates and details with ELO, including your student producer
- To save class time, consider providing the presentations on Canvas instead for example, on a graded discussion board.
6. Special Requests
- Talk to ELO about options for capturing student discussion one month prior to the start of the semester.
- Contact ELO early (about a week in advance) for special requests that may affect the class recording content/schedule
- Videos can be played and captured with the exception of proprietary/copyrighted videos.