The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE) offers a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering 100% online. A typical schedule includes one class a semester, allowing students to finish their degree in 5 years. Research areas within the ECpE department include:
- Advanced Electronics and Materials
- Communication, Controls, and Signals
- Computing and Networking Systems
- Energy Systems
- Secure and Reliable Computing
- Software Systems
Prospective students are encourage to apply for admission at least one month prior to the beginning of the semester. For fall admission, apply by July 15; for spring admission, apply by December 1. Students may take up to 9 credits as a non-degree seeking student, so it is possible to begin your studies before formal admittance into the program. Admission and application procedures for the Electrical Engineering graduate programs are on the ECpE department page and on the Office of Admissions page.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- A general application
GRE scores are required only if your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 or if you have less than two years of full-time employment.
Coursework Only Option
- A minimum of 30 credit hours of coursework (No fewer than 22 of these credits shall be earned at Iowa State.)
- At least 24 of the 30 credit hours of coursework must be from electrical and computer engineering with 12 of those credits from a single area of focus and six from outside the area of focus. See Core Research Areas for Graduate Study information on focus areas.
- Independent Study credits (EE or CprE 590) may be taken as often as desired, but only 3 credit hours may be counted toward the credit requirements for your program of study.
Visit the ELO courses page for classes currently available. Learn more about the Enrollment Process for Online and Distance Learning.
ECpE Graduate Admissions
|Engineering-LAS Online Learning
800-854-1675 or 515-294-7470