The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences currently offers the following programs:
Bachelor of Liberal Studies
The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) is a general studies degree in the liberal arts. It provides the flexibility to choose courses based on interests and goals. Students complete coursework in three areas of distribution; these areas may be focused in a single discipline or diversified over several disciplines. The BLS degree is also offered with similar requirements by the University of Northern Iowa and University of Iowa, and provides a framework to assemble the educational opportunities locally available. Up to three-fourths of the degree requirements may be transferred from accredited institutions.
Master of School Mathematics
Iowa State University’s Master of School Mathematics (MSM) is designed for current secondary mathematics teachers. The degree program is built on three objectives:
• Enhance the teacher’s knowledge of algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics and discrete mathematics
• Provide effective strategies for creating a student-centered classroom emphasizing problem solving
• Use of computing technology in learning and teaching mathematics
The course work totals 32 semester credits. Completion of a MSM program will fulfill the master’s degree in an area of endorsements’ requirement listed under the certification rules for a professional teacher’s certificate. To find out more about the MSM visit the program website. For more specific information regarding the MSM, contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 294-0393.
Master of Science in Statistics
The Department of Statistics offers courses and the Master of Science in Statistics degree online. The typical load for a student is one course per semester so it takes about five years to finish an MSS degree. Students who already have an MS in Statistics might take some of our elective courses as part of their continuing education.
To find out more about the MSS please visit the program’s website at www.stat.iastate.edu/grad. For more specific information contact the Statistics Department at email@example.com or (515) 294-3440.
Applied Linguistics: TESL/TEFL Certificate Program
This convenient, one-year certificate will prepare you to teach English to speakers of other languages. After completing this four-course program, students wishing to pursue a graduate degree in TESL/Applied Linguistics (MA) or Applied Linguistics & Technology (PhD) at Iowa State University may apply credits from certificate courses towards these programs.
Why Choose the Iowa State University TESL/TEFL Certificate Program?
- Iowa State University is an accredited institution with MA and PhD programs in Applied Linguistics.
- Courses combine theoretical and practical knowledge to help you advance in your career in teaching English as a second language.
- Courses are offered over a one-year period to allow you to progress on a part-time basis.
- Courses are offered with a combination of synchronous and asynchronous pedagogies to provide a convenient course with opportunities for live interaction with the instructor and other students.
- Courses include the study of English language as well as how to teach and assess English in face-to-face classrooms and through computer-assisted language learning.
Political Science: Certificate of Public Management
Prepare for public service leadership in public administration, whether in government, nonprofit agencies, or private organizations working with government and nonprofit agencies. The Certificate of Public Management (CPM) program is designed to enhance the performance level of mid-career public managers and administrators.The certificate requires 15 graduate credits. These credits may be applied to the MPA program at any time.