Why use the Online Testing Center?
Faculty wishing to use the quiz and exam features built into Canvas or other on-line assessment packages can utilize the Online Testing Center to provide a secure location for students to take these assessments.
Testing Services Provided
- Photo ID Check-in
- Scratch paper provided
- After student navigates to on-line exam the proctor enters the password allowing the student to access and take the exam.
- Monitors students in process of taking exams.
- Over 200 specially configured terminals that prohibit access to non-authorized web sites and prevents utilization of such things as memory sticks or flash memory.
- Security concerns prohibit the addition of any proprietary software.
- If you have students needing special exam accommodations please see: http://www.sdr.dso.iastate.edu/
Located: 60 Carver Hall, 2552 Gilman and 139 Durham
For more information, including step-by-step instructions, regarding creating and retrieving an assessment for your course, please visit Steps for Instructors.
The use of cell phones by students taking exams in the Testing Center is prohibited. Cell phones should be turned off and stowed away upon entry into the Testing Center.
In order to enforce this policy the Testing Center has signs posted conspicuously indicating the prohibition of cell phones and has included the following statement as one of the Testing Center rules that students agree to when logging into their exam; “All electronic devices (e.g. cell phones, PDA’s, iPods, etc.) must be shut off and stowed away during the exam”. In addition Testing Center staff will use cell phone detectors in order to determine and locate cell phones that are turned on. These detectors are only able to detect phones that are turned on but are not able to capture any calling information nor can they determine if a phone is currently in use.
- Students entering one of the Testing Centers will be reminded to turn off their cell phones.
- Staff will use a cell phone detector to spot check the Testing Centers to determine if there are any cell phones turned on.
- If there is a detection of a cell phone that is turned on staff will locate the source and ask the owner to turn it off.
- Should a proctor witness a cell phone in use during an exam the cell phone detector may be used to confirm that the cell phone is active and then take appropriate action by reporting to the instructor the use of the cell phone by the student.