Echo360 Active Learning Platform (ALP) records classroom videos and also allows you to facilitate class engagement and participation. These include integrated interactive activities such as polls, quizzes, discussion spaces, and many more. To use the ALP Platform, you will need to use the Microsoft Office Powerpoint Ribbon add-on which can be downloaded from echo360.org via downloads.
Note: The Echo ALP Ribbon Add-on can only be used within PowerPoint by Windows users (not Mac or Linux).
Step 1: Verify Microsoft Office Version
First, determine your version of Microsoft Office. This will help you select the correct installation file to install the PowerPOint add-on.
- For Office 2013 and Office 2010, open PowerPoint, then select File and then Help. The help page shows the software version along with whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit (in parentheses to the right of the version number.
- For Office 365, open PowerPoint. Select File, Account, and then About PowerPoint. The About PowerPoint dialog box will appear. At the top of the dialog box the version number along with whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit will be displayed.
Step 2: Downloading and Installing the PowerPoint Ribbon Add-on
- Log in to www.echo360.org with your ISU email address and password
- Click on the gear next to your username and then select Downloads
- Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the ALP ribbon
Note: If you download the wrong version of the ribbon, it will complete the installation but the add-on will not be installed.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click the setup.exe file to start the installer.
- Follow the prompts through the wizard. Note that the installer checks for the presence of .NET. If it does not find the version it needs, it will prompt you to install .NET 4 or later.
- When it completes, click Finish to close the installer
- You should now be able to open PowerPoint and see a new tab on the toolbar titled Echo360.
Note: if you do not see this tab, you may need to close and reopen PowerPoint, or you may need to verify that you have installed the correct version.
Step 3: Sign in to Echo
- Click Sign in, located on the far left side of the ribbon. This establishes a link between your PowerPoint slides and your course in the Echo360 Active Learning Platform (ALP)
- The log in dialog box allows you to select your region and enter your ALP username and password
Note: You will need to include @iastate.edu after your username
Step 4: Creating Lecture Slides
- Create your lecture slides for class as usual
- Do not include interactive slides at this point unless you want students to have the option to see the questions ahead of time
Step 5: Upload lecture slides to relevant class period
- Click on Publish in the Echo360 ALP Ribbon
- Locate the appropriate course and class
- (Optional) Select dates to make the course available and unavailable on the right hand panel. We recommend to make the slides Available Now and to Never make unavailable.
- Click OK
- A dialog box titled Successfully Posted Lesson will pop up to confirm that the lecture slides were uploaded
- Click OK
Step 6: Adding Interactive Quizzes
- It is at this stage where you can begin to add interactive content to your lecture slides. Go to the slide prior to where you want to add interactive content.
- Click on New Activity and then Multiple Choice
Note: The Echo360 ALP Ribbon supports multiple choice, image quiz, short answer, and media slide. However, for ease of use, ELO recommends utilizing only multiple choice questions and occasionally short answer questions (at least to get started). Information on how to use the other options can be found in the Instructor User Guide: http://help.echo360.org/InstructorUserGuide_ALP.pdf
- Type your question in the Question Text field and the multiple answer options. Select which answer is the correct answer by selecting the box in the Correct column
- A new slide will be inserted into your PowerPoint
- Continue to add activity slides as desired
- Save your PowerPoint
Step 7: Update Lecture Slides
- Update your lecture slides right before class (updating prior to this point will allow students to see the interactive question slides and prepare their answers ahead of time)
- Click on the Update icon
- A pop up dialog box will indicate the presentation was successfully updated
Step 8: Using the Interactive Slides
- During class, run through your PowerPOint slides as usual
Note: You will need to run this through the Slide Show option in PowerPoint. The Slide Show button is located in the lower right of the screen (image enlarged for clarity)
- When you come to an interactive slide, give the students time to respond to the question. Students can submit their answers via SMS text (if they have associated their phone number with their Echo360 account)
Note: Numbers and letters used in image below for demonstration purposes only. Students will need to follow instructions similar to that below (image enlarged for clarity)
- After all students have responded, click on the stop quiz icon (image enlarged for clarity)
- Show student responses (image enlarged for clarity)
- (Optional) discuss student answers
- Show correct answer (image enlarged for clarity)
Note: For online asynchronous students, you will need to hide the correct answer, the student answers, and reopen the polls after class. Do not reset the activity.