The Design and Development unit collaborates with and guides instructors from the Colleges of Engineering (COE) and Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) to design and develop online as well as blended courses that do not use live lecture capture technology.
|Summer 2018||January 12, 2018|
|Fall 2018||January 12, 2018|
Course Development Grants
In addition to basic instructional design services, this unit offers seed funding to create and/or enhance online courses. It also offers funding for developing blended courses for LAS. The funding supports courses that are approved and/or listed in the Iowa State University catalog and comes with full instructional design support from ELO.
- Open to faculty and staff only
- Three types of grants to:
- Develop a new online course ($3,000 per credit hour)
- Improve an existing online/blended course ($1000 per credit hour)
- Create a new blended course ($2000 per credit hour)
See Grant Types for more details
- Follows ISU Expenditure Guidelines.
- Includes assistance from the ELO instructional development
and graphic design staff
- Does not support lecture capture technology.
- The instructor and department commit to offering the course at least twice within a two-year period after development.
- The course must be completely developed and address Quality Matters guidelines for online course design before it is offered.
- The department, instructor and ELO sign a Memorandum of Understanding (PDF)
College of Engineering
- Develop/improve courses for online graduate programs and certificates.
- Increase capacity of required undergraduate courses.
- Increase capacity of other high-enrollment, undergraduate courses.
- Develop new or convert existing online courses to an online format without live lecture capture.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Support undergraduate level courses with high enrollment and/or high enrollment potential.
- Support courses that fulfill requirements for the Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) degree program.
- Support courses that fulfill a general education or specific academic major requirement.
- Support courses that explore new ways of using class time more effectively
(for blended course only)
NOTE – Courses with concurrent funding from the university to develop blended course(s) are not eligible. (for blended course only)