The Design and Development unit collaborates with and guides instructors from the Colleges of Engineering (COE), Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS), and Business (BUS) to design, develop or improve online, asynchronous courses that do not use live lecture capture technology. The unit also develops and supports blended courses for LAS only. Online courses supported by ELO are assessed a delivery fee unless an exception is approved by the college’s associate dean.
Course Development Grants
In addition to basic instructional design services, this unit offers seed funding to create and/or enhance online courses. The funding supports courses that are approved and/or listed in the Iowa State University catalog and comes with full instructional design support from ELO.
- Open to faculty and staff only
- Grants are available to: (See Grant Types for further details)
- Develop new/improve existing online, asynchronous courses (COE, LAS, BUS).
- Develop new/improve existing blended courses (LAS only)
- Grant amount varies by college and grant type.
- Up to $3,000/credit hour is available to develop new COE and LAS online courses. For BUS, up to $5,000/course is available to develop new or convert existing in-class courses to online.
- Up to $2,000/credit hour is available to develop new blended courses for LAS.
- Up to $1,000/credit hour is available to improve existing online (COE and LAS) and/or blended (only LAS) courses. For BUS, up to $1,000/course is available to improve existing online BUS courses.
- Courses to be developed/improved must be approved by the respective college
- The course development project must follow ISU Expenditure Guidelines
- Grant requires collaborating with ELO’s instructional designer to design and develop the course. See Grant Course Design Services.
- The developed course must address Quality Matters guidelines for online course design before it is offered.
- Funding does not support developing courses that use lecture capture technology.
- The instructor and department commit to offering the course at least twice within a two-year period after development. The first offering of the developed course may be deferred, if needed, no more than twice.
- The department, instructor, and ELO sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Please contact email@example.com if you would like to see a copy.
College of Engineering
- Develop/improve courses for online graduate programs and certificates
- Leverage online, asynchronous delivery to provide instruction of high-enrollment undergraduate courses
- Leverage online, asynchronous course development and delivery to support education and broader impact aspects for research grants
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Support undergraduate level courses with high enrollment and/or high enrollment potential
- Support courses that fulfill requirements for the Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) degree program
- Support courses that fulfill a general education or specific academic major requirement
- Support courses that explore new ways of using class time more effectively
(for blended course only)