The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE) offers a Master of Engineering (MEng) Degree in Computer Engineering which is 100% online. This distance education program is ideally suited to working professionals seeking to advance their careers. A typical schedule includes one class a semester, allowing students to finish their degree in 5 years.
The Master of Engineering degree program in Computer Engineering is intended for students who have a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering. For students with a bachelor’s degree in other engineering disciplines, or in some closely related sciences may be considered for provisional admission if other admission requirements are met.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in electrical and computer engineering or closely related field
- GPA of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) at an undergraduate level
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) score of 155 or better on the Quantitative section; GRE scores are required for MEng applicants only if the applicant’s undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 or if the applicant has less than two years of full-time employment in the field.
- Statement of Purpose
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Non-native speakers of English must also satisfy the English Proficiency Requirement with a TOEFL score of 88 or better (or equivalent)
Application deadlines: for fall admission, please apply by July 15; for spring admission, apply by December 1. More details on application procedures may be found on ECpE Graduate Admissions.
- A minimum of 30 credit hours of coursework (No fewer than 22 of these credits shall be earned at Iowa State.)
- At least 18 of the 30 credit hours of coursework must be from EE or CprE.
- Independent Study credits (EE or CprE 590) may be taken as often as desired, but only 3 credit hours may be counted toward the credit requirements for your program of study.
Visit the ELO courses page for classes currently available. Learn more about the Enrollment Process for Online and Distance Learning.
ECpE Graduate Admissions
|Engineering-LAS Online Learning
800-854-1675 or 515-294-7470