Introduction to the Course and Navigation
- Do you have a “Start Here” on your Canvas page?
- Do students know where to look for updates and communication about the course?
- Have you provided students with contact information to ask questions?
- Have you posted a syllabus with clear learning objectives and organized structure, and a calendar of important dates?
- Have you posted your own self-introduction and encourage all your students to introduce themselves in the first week?
- Do students know where to look for their grades and the nature of the feedback you will be providing?
- All the minimum technical requirements and skills expected have been outlined clearly?
Course Structure and Organization
- Has your course content (including units, learning modules, weeks, chapters, challenges, etc.) been updated and organized logically with a clear structure, and aligned with learning objectives?
- Can students easily figure out where to go next? Content is logical/contiguous and navigation is intuitive.
- Are all item names written clearly and terms used consistently? (For example, qz1 may mean nothing to students, but Thermodynamics Quiz 1 is clear.)
- Can students easily locate course activities, experiences and assessments?
- Universal entry points of access for learning activities and assessments
- Is the relationship between objectives and experiences/activities/assessments clearly noted in item descriptions?
- Are there descriptive and detailed criteria provided to evaluate students’ assignments or projects?
- Are all the assessment tools well selected and appropriate for measuring learning outcome?
- Do your learning activities allow sufficient opportunities for students to interact with the content, their peers, and instructor/TA?
- Do you have clear expectations for students’ interaction? Is it apparent from the menu?
- Do the menu items clearly denote individual work versus group class work?
Resources Referenced Throughout the Course
- Is it clear where students should go to access different course resources (g. software, books, links, Parks Library Reserve etc.)? Are clear instructions provided to use those resources?
- Have you posted links with clear description of the technical support offered or how to access to it?